Are you an artist looking for the perfect pastel pencil to add a stunning layer of soft, blended color to your canvases? If so, you’ve come to the right place! Drawing with pastels allows for a color-rich and vibrant look; it’s often used by professional artists and already has a significant following among beginner-level sketching enthusiasts. Whether your style is inspired by fantasy drawings or abstract art, understanding what makes up good-quality pastel pencils can guarantee that you get as precise as possible results.
But, with so many options flooding the market, it can take time to choose the best one that fulfills your ideal requirements. You may be in confusion wondering about below questions:
1. Which pastel pencil is good?
2. What are its benefits or disadvantages?
3. What to look for while buying a pastel pencil?
That’s why we’re here to help. We’ll explore the best ones on the market so that you can find the perfect one for your beautiful sketches. Whether you are just starting or have been using them for decades, we will show you exactly how these art supplies can be used to bring life and beauty into your drawings. So get ready – it’s time to explore what pastels can do!
1. Ticonderoga® Pastel Pencils, Assorted Colors – Pack of 10
- Vibrant, neon colors
- Durable wood construction
- Pre-sharpened for immediate use
- Slightly higher price compared to other pencils
- Limited color options in the pack
Ticonderoga® Pastel Pencils, 2 Soft, Assorted Colors, Pack Of 10 Pencils are the top choice for teachers and students alike. These pencils are made from durable wood and have a graphite core, ensuring they will last through many uses. The pre-sharpened pencils come in a variety of beautiful pastel colors that are sure to inspire creativity. With the added convenience of latex-free erasers, mistakes can be easily corrected without smudging. These pencils are highly recommended by customers for their quality and longevity, making them a worthwhile investment for any artist or student.
2. Faber-Castel Pitt Pastell Pencil Set – 60 Count
- High level of pigment
- Wax and oil free
- Suited for fine details in pastels
- Easily smudged for color transitions
- Limited range of subtle shades
The Faber-Castel Pitt Pastell Colouring Pencil Set of 60 is a high-quality set of pastel pencils that are perfect for fine details in pastel drawings. These pencils contain a high level of pigment and are wax and oil free, allowing for easy smudging to create fine color transitions. The set comes in a metal tin and includes sixty assorted colors. The pencils lay down thin but vivid colors and have excellent body, providing enough tooth to properly lay down the colors. Customers have praised these pencils for their smoothness, good colors, fine detail capabilities, and clean blending. While they may be a bit expensive, they are well worth the investment, according to an art teacher’s recommendation.
3. Faber-Castel Pitt Pastel Pencils
- Quality product
- Good for making fine lines and drawing with pastels
- Vibrant colors and easy to blend
- Metal tin keeps pencils organized and protected
- Tin may arrive damaged during shipping
- Some customers have experienced issues with damaged art supplies when purchasing from Amazon
The Faber-Castel FC112124 Pitt Pastel Pencils in A Metal Tin (24 Pack), Assorted is a supreme quality set of pastel pencils perfect for artists who require fine and elaborate details in their artwork. These pencils contain a high level of pigment and are wax and oil-free, allowing for easy smudging and creating fine color transitions. The pencils come in a metal tin, ensuring they are well-protected and organized. With excellent light resistance and color brilliance, these pastel pencils retain their vividness of color with minimal fixing required. Users have praised the good colors, blendability, and ability to make fine lines with these pencils. However, some customers have noted that the tin may arrive damaged. Overall, this is a quality product that is highly recommended for artists looking to create stunning works of art.
4. STABILO CarbOthello Pastel Pencil – Tin of 24 Colors
Vibrant and Versatile Colors
- Comfortable to use
- Variety of nice colors
- Applies easily
- Good choice for trying chalk pencils for the first time
- Recommended by others
- Fun to work with
- Good for grayscale coloring
- Messy to use
- Creates dust
The Chalk-Pastel Pencil – STABILO CarbOthello – ARTY+ – Tin of 24 – Assorted Colors is a premium set of chalk-pastel pencils that is ideal for art students, artists, and creative individuals of all ages. The pencils have a charcoal-like feel and are highly pigmented, allowing for vibrant and dramatic results, especially on dark backgrounds and delicate papers. The colors are blendable when dry and can be smudged with either fingertips or a blending stump to create a variety of artistic effects. The set comes in a convenient hinged tin box and includes 24 assorted colors, offering a wide range of shades for portraits, landscapes, animals, and line drawings. The finished artwork can be treated with a fixative for superior results.
5. GETHPEN Pastel Chalk Colored Pencils, Set of 24 Colors
Vibrant Color Selection
- Easy to sharpen
- Durable – tips do not break easily
- Smooth application on paper
- Versatile for various art techniques
The GETHPEN Pastel Chalk Colored Pencils are a set of 24 vibrant and richly pigmented color charcoal pencils. Designed for both advanced artists and beginners, these pencils are perfect for drawing, sketching, and illustrating realistic images. With their smooth glide and compatibility with black sketch pads, they offer effortless application and excellent results. Additionally, these pencils are easy to sharpen with a manual pencil sharpener and are sturdy enough to withstand pressure without breaking the tips. Perfect for artists of all levels, these pencils provide a versatile and enjoyable art experience.
6. KALOUR Pro Pastel Chalk Pencils, Set of 50 Colors
Versatile and Vibrant Selection
- Nice color
- Firm without being very hard
- Functional set of pastel pencils
- Includes a swatch chart
- Comes in a nice tin with a hinged lid
- Pastel chalk can be messy
- Some pencils may feel scratchy on certain types of paper
The KALOUR Pro Pastel Chalk Colored Pencils is a set of 50 professional artist quality pastel colored pencils. Perfect for beginners to advanced artists, these pencils are ideal for drawing, sketching, and illustrating realistic portrait art. The set comes in a gift metal tin box and includes a DIY color chart for easy reference. The pencils are both named and numbered, and the tin has a hinged lid for convenient storage. The pastels have a nice color and are firm without being too hard. They can be used on various types of paper and can be fixed with a matte fixative spray to prevent smearing. Overall, this set offers a functional and high-quality option for artists looking to explore pastel chalk in pencil form.
Comparing Pastel Pencil Options
Step-by-Step Guide to Using Pastel Pencils
- Begin by selecting a set of pastel pencils suitable for beginners. It is recommended to choose a set with a variety of colors and hardness levels
- Start by preparing the surface on which you will be working. It is advisable to use a paper or board specifically designed for pastel work, as it provides the necessary tooth to hold the pigments
- Begin by lightly sketching the desired subject on the surface with a graphite pencil. This will serve as a guideline for your pastel work
- Start layering the colors gradually, using light pressure initially and building up the intensity as needed. Pastel pencils allow for precise application, so take advantage of their versatility to add detail and texture to your artwork
- Experiment with blending techniques such as smudging or using a blending stump to create smooth transitions between colors
- Remember to work from light to dark, as pastel pencils are transparent and the underlying layers will show through. Starting with lighter colors will help create depth and dimension in your artwork
- Take time to practice and experiment with different techniques to develop your own style and understanding of how to use pastel pencils effectively
- Finally, ensure that your finished artwork is properly protected by using a fixative spray to prevent smudging and preserve the vibrant colors of your pastel pencil work